Saturday, September 6, 2014

Lots More BANANAS!

     A wonderful friend of mine told me about this wonderful idea.  Banana pancakes made with eggs and bananas.  Does it sound as gross to you as it did to me?  I think I may have gave her the wrinkled up nose look when she told me because she tried really hard to convince me that they were tasty.  That was nearly two years ago, maybe even three.  I avoided trying them, they just sounded gross.

     My mother sent me a recipe for them a few months ago.  I kind of rolled my eyes, I must admit.  (Something she is quite use to, I am sure.)  I clicked the link and the picture of the pancakes looked amazing!  I could not believe it.  They looked like they had grain in them.  I decided I had to try them, just to see if I could get mine to look like the ones in the picture. (This is not the original link my mother sent me, but it is close, and the pancakes look just as gorgeous- http://www.ourbestbites.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pancakes/ )

GAPS Banana Pancakes

Things you will need:
Skillet
Mixing bowl or stand mixer
Butter
Cast iron skillet
6 bananas (I did one for each person eating)
12 eggs

Directions:

1. Start skillet heating, so it is nice and hot when the batter (for lack of a better word) is ready.  (I usually turn the burner to high to start, so they are hot and ready more quickly.)

2. Peel bananas and put them in the mixing bowl.  Mash them well.

3. Crack eggs into bowl.

4. Mix bananas and eggs together, really well.


5. Grease the skillet with some butter.  (I turn the burner down right before I do this, medium seems to work pretty well.)

6. Pour some batter into the skillet.  I notice that the smaller the pancakes the easier they are to flip.  My batter was a bit runny so it was important that the skillet was nice and hot so they did not run everywhere.


7. Flip the pancake when you see bubbles in the batter.  It will not take much time to cook the other side.


     I got varying degrees of color in my pancakes.  I had all five burners going on my stove so I could make them more quickly.  They are quite filling, my kids only had four.  The plate in the bottom picture is a small salad plate.

     They did not turn out as fluffy and nice looking as the pictures online.  But, I used cast iron pans.  I believe the pancakes from the link were cooked on a pancake griddle.  That is the only time I see pancakes turn out that perfect.  The GAPS diet is against Teflon pans, so I got rid of all of mine, and also inherited my mother's camping cast iron pans.  We have picked up a few more at good will too.  I really like them.  They are so easy to clean if you keep them seasoned.  They ARE heavy though.  The above picture may be a Teflon coated griddle, actually.  I am not sure.  It came with the stove.  I have not looked into it, because I am afraid I will have to get rid of it.


     We drizzled honey on them, and they were so good!  I was so surprised.  I should have tried them years ago.  Silly me.  For the first day of school I made them with blue berries in them.  Also very good, but quite tricky to flip.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment