Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Whatever Wednesdays- "Apple Stuff"

     Quite often it will be close to bed time and I will suddenly realize I do not have a clue as to what I will be making for breakfast the next morning.  At times like these I often turn to my freezer.  On this particular day I found a bag of peeled and cored apple sections! 

     I live across the street from a while apple orchard.  They are everywhere up here.  (Thank you, Johnny Appleseed?)  This particular year (2013) was a great apple harvest.  I had so many apples.  I dehydrated them in thin slices and the kids ate them like raisins.  I made quarts and quarts of apple sauce.  Due to the time consuming aspect of making the apples ready for apple pies I only put a few bags of peeled, cored and sectioned apples away in  my freezer.  And then promptly forgot about them.  I was worried they would not taste very good due to the fact they were a year and a half old, but although they were rubbery when I defrosted them, the kids really liked them.

Apple Stuff

Things you will need:
9x13 baking dish
butter or animal fat (to grease the dish)
about 5 to 6 cups of apples, peeled and cored, cut into quarters or sections
4 cups of almonds, ground into a meal like consistency
3 eggs
1/2 cup of coconut milk, yogurt or raw milk (your choice)
1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup (and a bit extra for drizzling)
about 1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Directions:
1. Place the butter or animal fat in the 9x13 baking dish and place in the oven.

2. When the butter or animal fat has melted, pull the baking dish out of the oven and smear the butter or animal fat around the dish.

3. Pour the apples into the baking dish.  (Since I used frozen apples, I defrosted them first, in the refrigerator, and then dumped them into a colander in the sink and let any liquid strain out.)


4. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with honey (to your personal taste).

5. In a stand mixer or a big bowl combine almond meal, eggs, milk or yogurt, honey or maple syrup and cinnamon.


6. Pour mixture over apples.  This may be more like spread, depending on your measurements and whether you used honey or maple syrup or yogurt verses milk.  It will be sticky, and may be hard to spread if it is too thick.  Just add more of any of the liquid ingredients, if this is the case.

7. Place in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour, and then check to see if the top is done in the middle.  If it is not, cook for another half hour.


     Sorry I do not have a finished picture for you.  I forgot to take one, and the kids loved it and gobbled it down.  I ended up making it four days in a row.  I had to start it cooking at 6:30 am so it was ready by 8 am, for breakfast.  You could cook it the day before and eat it at room temperature or cold.

     I love it when I have success at just throwing things together that I happen to have on hand.  It does not always come out this well!

Apple picking is so awesome!  It is hard to get me out of the tree.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Have to wait until the season though. Do you know the Johnny Appleseed song? O the Lord is good to me. And so I thank the Lord. For giving me the things I need, the sun and rain and the appleseed. O the Lord is good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mom taught it to us at a very young age. :) We sing it all Autumn long.

      Delete